What you can expect and the different phases when your transitioning through Reverse Culture Shock.
What is Reverse Culture Shock?
Is a upsetting and disturbing feelings and emotions experienced by some people upon returning home from spending a significant time overseas.
Signs that you could be experiencing reverse culture shock.
- You have changed and notice that you don’t relate as well to old friends and those around you.
- You feel alone as if there is no one who understands
- You feel bored
- You're living in your past travels and experience far too often
- You compare your current situation to your past experience overseas
- You only think about the good things of your travels or time abroad
Different phases of this transition.
- Realisation of the return home
- Initial excitement for landing back in your motherland
- Denial of your return home
- Unhappiness, Misery, Gloom, Melancholy and sometimes depression
- Frustraion about your position
- Adjusting adapting and experimenting
- Owning your decision to return home
- Integration, finding purpose and meaning