One of the hardest things that so many people face I when returning home from long term travel is re-establishing my friendship circles.
What I have learned when reconnecting with old friends.
APPROACH EACH FRIEND WITH ENTHUSIASM AND A ‘PICK UP WHERE YOU LEFT OFF’ MENTALITY.
- Be the one to actively approach and reach out to old friends to arrange to catch up.
- Be interested in what they have been doing with their life as well as sharing your story.
RELEASE EXPECTATIONS ABOUT HOW YOUR RELATIONSHIPS ‘SHOULD’ BE.
- Relationships may now be different closer or more distance depending on what has changed.
- The friendship doesn't have to be the same as it was.
- Acknowledge you have changed.
- Your friends may have changed or they may not have, both is ok.
CONTINUE TO SEEK NEW FRIENDS IN YOUR OLD HOME.
- Like on your your travels don’t let go of this skill just because you are now at home.
- Seek like minded people though community and events.
- Be the one to go first even if it feels out of your comfort zone
- Related blog post: How to re-ignite old friendships after a long time aboard.