Leaving the UK for 7 years in Tanzania and returning home again.
Annie Soul is a life coaching specialising in travel. She blogs about her expertise at www.soulfultravels.co.uk. She has spent over seven years as an expat in Tanzania.
Annie moved to Tanzania in 2010 after six months of teaching scientific fieldwork skills to volunteers on a bush camp with no running water or electricity the previous year. She went with the ambition of starting her own NGO and spent every single effort trying to make that happen.
In the end the political situation changed dramatically and the experience was not the same as when she had arrived. She made some really lovely lifelong friends and had awesome adventures, but needed a change and decided to leave in 2016.
When coming home...
- Emotions Annie faced - Upset to leave new friends in Tanzania behind, excited to return home, security, relax and not worry about basic needs.
- Biggest stress - No one understands the change you have been going through.
- How Annie supported herself - Concentrate on herself, take time to do things for yourself.
- How did her mindset change - Self action, open communications, being selfish and investing time in herself
- 3 Lessons learned from travel and reverse culture shock
- "Dont panic." (Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy)
- Dont always listen to people when they say negative things about travel.
- Research, Research, Research!
- Advise to herself for returning home - Enjoy everything that you can. You know your strengths.